/etc/make.conf CPUTYPE question (nacona vs. pentium4)

Nikolas Britton nikolas.britton at gmail.com
Wed Jan 10 11:05:59 UTC 2007

On 1/9/07, Oliver Fromme <olli at lurza.secnetix.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to write an appropriate CPUTYPE entry for
> /etc/make.conf for the following machine:
>
> CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz (2799.95-MHz 686-class CPU)
>   Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0xf41  Stepping = 1
>   Features=0xbfebfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,
>                       SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,
>                       DTS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE>
>   Features2=0x441d<SSE3,RSVD2,MON,DS_CPL,CNTX-ID,<b14>>
>   Logical CPUs per core: 2
>
> I've read the appropriate sections in the make.conf(5)
> manpage, /usr/share/examples/etc/make.conf and even
> /usr/share/mk/bsd.cpu.mk, but they don't really help.
>
> So far I've been using "CPUTYPE=pentium4", but I wonder
> if "nocona" would be better, however I'm not sure if my
> CPU above qualifies as a nocona one.  I think the main
> difference is that nocona supports SSE3, and SSE3 is
> indeed listed in the CPU features above, so ...
>
> Does anybody know for sure?  Thank you very much in advance!
>
> Best regards
>    Oliver

nocona I believe added 64-bit extensions to the processor. Does your
processor have 64-bit extensions? A better make.conf would be
something like this though:

CPUTYPE?=pentium3
CFLAGS+= -mtune=nocona
COPTFLAGS+= -mtune=nocona

or

CPUTYPE?=pentium3
CFLAGS+= -mtune=prescott
COPTFLAGS+= -mtune=prescott

then use an if endif block to override system wide settings, such as
with this example:

.if ${.CURDIR:M*/databases/mysql*}
BROKEN=yes
.endif