iSCSI

DAve dave.list at pixelhammer.com
Tue Jan 9 17:14:21 UTC 2007

Dan Nelson wrote:
> In the last episode (Jan 09), DAve said:
>> The developers response, for those who are interested.
>>
>> hi Dave,
>> 	the initiator for iSCSI will hit stable/current real soon now.
>> that was the good news, now for the down side:
>> what was missing all along was recovery from network disconnects, so
>> while I think I have it almost worked out, I've come across a major
>> flow in the iscsi design:
>> 	when the targets crashes, and comes back, there is no way
>> to tell the client to run an fsck. This is not a problem if the
>> client is mounting the iscsi partition read only.
>>
>> 	danny
>
> Why should the client need to do an fsck?  From its point of view it
> should just look like the target had the iSCSI equivalent of a bus
> reset.  It should resend any queued requests and continue.

That was my thought as well. I have my pop toasters all mounting a NFS
mail store and when NFS goes away I don't have my NFS clients doing a
fsck when the mount returns.

Not sure if that is important as iSCSI is all new to me, still reading
up on it. Does FreeBSD do anything special to a NFS mount when it returns?

Should I subscribe to the SCSI list to continue this thread?

DAve

Veterans?