Automatically get nameservers

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Tue Jan 9 16:23:21 UTC 2007

David Kelly wrote:
 > Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > > Peter Nyamukusa wrote:

 > > > I think you will need to have DHCP running in your network as DHCP is the only
 > > > way to automatically get nameservers regardless of the OS you are using
 > >
 > > No, you don't need DHCP in the case George described.
 > > As Kirk explained you can simply set up a name server
 > > on the FreeBSD machine (just one line in /etc/rc.conf),
 > > then let the Windows machines use that name server.
 > > No DHCP required at all.
 >
 > But for the Windows machines to "get the nameservers automatically" one
 > has to set up DHCP somewhere. On the FreeBSD machine. Or on a SOHO
 > router. Somewhere.

No, the FreeBSD machine (which acts as a PPPoE client)
already receives the addresses of the name servers via
the PPP protocol.  There's really no need for DHCP.

I have exactly that setup at home, and I definitely do
not use DHCP.

Best regards
   Oliver

"One of the main causes of the fall of the Roman Empire was that,
lacking zero, they had no way to indicate successful termination
of their C programs."
        -- Robert Firth