Automatically get nameservers

David Kelly dkelly at hiwaay.net
Tue Jan 9 16:06:51 UTC 2007

On Tue, Jan 09, 2007 at 04:57:31PM +0100, Oliver Fromme wrote:
> Peter Nyamukusa wrote:
>  > Kirk Strauser wrote:
>  > > George Vanev wrote:
>  > > > I want Windows client machines, connected to the FreeBSD box
>  > > > to get the nameservers automatically.
>  > > > Can you tell me how this may be done?!
>  > > > Regerds
>  > >
>  > > I think the best solution would be to configure the FreeBSD box as a
>  > > caching nameserver, then point all your windows boxes to it.
>  >
>  > I think you will need to have DHCP running in your network as DHCP is the only
>  > way to automatically get nameservers regardless of the OS you are using
>
> No, you don't need DHCP in the case George described.
> As Kirk explained you can simply set up a name server
> on the FreeBSD machine (just one line in /etc/rc.conf),
> then let the Windows machines use that name server.
> No DHCP required at all.

But for the Windows machines to "get the nameservers automatically" one
has to set up DHCP somewhere. On the FreeBSD machine. Or on a SOHO
router. Somewhere. It Just So Happens(sm) that if you do this the
Windows machines will also get IP addresses automatically.

The problem gets a little harder if you do not want just anyone who
connects to your network to be given an address.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly at HiWAAY.net