Unable to connect to remote X server using X -query

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Mon Jan 1 05:19:07 PST 2007

"Christian Walther" <cptsalek at gmail.com> writes:

> I'm on
>
> $ uname -a
> FreeBSD pixie.alashan.dyndns.org 6.1-RELEASE-p10 FreeBSD
> 6.1-RELEASE-p10 #1: Thu Nov 16 17:15:03 CET 2006
> root at pixie.alashan.dyndns.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/PIXIE  i386
>
> running
>
> $ pkg_info|grep ^xorg-server
> xorg-server-6.9.0_5 X.Org X server and related programs
>
> I set up two of my machines in my network to allow remote logins  via
> xdm and gdm. Both are Linux machines, one is a current Ubuntu release
> running gdm, the other one a decent Debian/testing running xdm. I'd
> like to connect to both machines using the command
>
> $ X -query <ip> -fp tcp/<ip>:7100
>
> The X-Server starts, but it justs sits there, displaying the default
> background. After a certain period of time the server is restarted,
> without any error message on the console or in /var/log/Xorg.0.log
> I checked the xdm/gdm configuration a couple of times, but I can use
> any other none FreeBSD-host in my network to successfully connect to
> the Display Manager on both machines. I even checked this with a
> NetBSD machine.
> I browsed through the manual and the FAQs, but I didn't find any
> section that gave me a clue of what is going on. There is no Firewall
> configured on my FreeBSD machine, and there is no security level set:
>
> # sysctl -h kern.securelevel
> kern.securelevel: -1
>
> X runs just fine when being executed locally, either via startx or via
> /etc/ttys using xdm.
>
> Did I miss something?

Hmm.  It looks okay so far, but I haven't used this kind of
environment in years (so take that with a grain of salt).  I would try
debugging through the init file (.xinitrc, if the user has one) --
perhaps putting some checkpoints in that script which will write out
to local files.

		http://be-well.ilk.org/~lowell/