Fail to start KDE and Gnome

Jonathan Chen jonc at chen.org.nz
Tue Feb 27 08:27:06 UTC 2007

On Tue, Feb 27, 2007 at 01:26:41PM +0800, Stephen Liu wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> FreeBSD-6.2-amd64
>
> This is a test, I insalled aprox >80% of the packages on Disc 2
> After installation completed PC rebooted to runlevel 3.  Login as user
> and run;
>
> $ startkde
> warning:
> Kpersonalizer : Cannot connect to Xserer
> - repeated-
>
> $ gnome-session
> (gnome-session 1968) gtk-Warning  ** cannot open displayed
>
> $ startx
> 3 xterm windows started.  On xterm I can start KDE with a lot of
> warning displayed on xterm windonw.  But I can't start Gnome on xterm.

If you're going to use "startx" you will need a ${HOME}/.xinitrc with
the following contents:

	#/bin/sh
	startkde

Make sure the file is 755 permissions. This will start up X with KDE.
I would suggest you configure /etc/ttys to start up KDM instead of
using "startx"

Cheers.
--
Jonathan Chen <jonc at chen.org.nz>