Outlook With FreeBSD IMAP

chris at chrismaness.com chris at chrismaness.com
Mon Feb 26 17:53:49 UTC 2007

>> I am using the default FreeBSD IMAP server in FreeBSD.  It works great
>> with thunderbird, but Outlook is not able to log in even though I have
>> Secure Authentication checked.  Any ideas?
>

> one - what POP/IMAP server are you using?
> two - some setups will require you to use the FULL email address as the
> username
> three - outlook works well as an IMAP client, but you dont want
> something that works
>            well....you want something that works PERFECT.
> four - log files always help you out....i believe that will be
> /var/log/maillog that will help you out...
>
> usually a detail of what you are running on your IMAP server, (IMAP server
> software, versiop of FreeBSD.........)
>
> hope that helps
>
> --
> Mike
>
> Of course, you might discount this possibility, but remember that one in
> a million chances happen 99% of the time.

I am running imap-uw:

imap-uw-2004g_1,1   University of Washington IMAP4rev1/POP2/POP3 mail servers

I was able to find out that Outlook does not support Cram-md5.  That is
the issue.

I am going to use sendmail alias to foreward to gmail and use their pop3
service.  I only need outlook for myself to sync with my PDA.