Fw: FIN_WAIT_2

Tek Bahadur Limbu teklimbu at wlink.com.np
Sun Feb 25 13:53:24 UTC 2007

On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 05:23:20 -0500
"Grant Peel" <gpeel at thenetnow.com> wrote:

>  my problem is that so many of my vm-pop3d processes get in that
> state that semi-frequently, we get locked out of downloading email.
>
>  I kill all the vm-pop3d processes then we have to wait for all the
>  FIN_WAIT_2 to die befor i can restart the vm-pop3d process.
>
>  If I try to start vm-pop3d before all the FIN_WAIT_2 sockets die, I
> get a 'Can't bind to port" error.
>
>  When I do the lsof thing it shows no files or processes connected to
> that port, or socket.

Hi Grant,

I also seem to getting the same problem as yours except that my server
is a Squid proxy running on FreeBSD 6.0. Using

netstat -an | grep tcp | awk '{print $6}' | sort | uniq -c

gives the following:

23 CLOSE_WAIT
   9 CLOSING
3955 ESTABLISHED
3342 FIN_WAIT_1
2604 FIN_WAIT_2
  49 LAST_ACK
   15 LISTEN
  16 SYN_SENT
  148 TIME_WAIT

Then I start to get the following in my squid logs:

2007/02/25 17:10:37| comm_open: socket failure: (55) No buffer space
available

I tried by setting the variable net.inet.ip.fw.dyn_keepalive=0 but it
didn't help that much.

It is only after I stop Squid for about 20-30 seconds and restart it,
will the number of connections start to drop.

I think that the best way to tackle this problem is by using a firewall
to rate-limit the number of connections per IP per time.

>  -Grant

- --

With best regards and good wishes,

Yours sincerely,