Core 2 Duo

Harald Schmalzbauer h.schmalzbauer at omnisec.de
Sun Feb 25 13:11:02 UTC 2007

Am Sonntag, 25. Februar 2007 10:10 schrieb Abdullah Ibn Hamad Al-Marri:
> On 2/25/07, Philip Radford <philip at radford-online.co.uk> wrote:
> >    In the past on a P4 chip I would put pentium4 in the cputype
> >    parameter in /etc/make.conf but are there any other settings here I
> >    can adjust or any by using sysctl.
>
> I'm using CPUTYPE?=prescott amd it's safe, nocona broke my kernel.

I'm no compiler expert, but prescott and nocona are Net-Burst architectures.
Core(2) is a pentium-m successor, which was a completely different (x86)
architecture, so optimizations for netburst won't have a positive effect, if
they work at all.

I use CPUTYPE?=pentium-m, but I've never done any comparisions to binaries
compiled without CPUTYPE. After several years observation with CPUTYPE I
guess the improovement ist smaller than ever these days, and until now it was
rarely mesureable.

-Harry

--
OmniSEC  -  UNIX und Windows Netzwerke - Sicher
Harald Schmalzbauer