Compiler Flags for SPARC64

Christian Baer christian.baer at uni-dortmund.de
Wed Feb 21 12:11:09 UTC 2007

On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 12:45:51 -0500 Kris Kennaway wrote:

>> Has anyone got any ideas on how to go on with this?
>
> You'll have to look at the compiler spec and how it is bootstrapped.

That could become quite a project.

> FWIW, I don't think there are any secret flags you can set to improve
> the compiler targetting, as the defaults are already appropriate.

These are not 'secret' flags:
http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-3.4.6/gcc/SPARC-Options.html#SPARC-Options

Also look a this:
http://www.osnews.com/story.php/6136/SPARC-Optimizations-With-GCC/page1

gcc by default creates v7 code which is a fair bit slower on a v9 CPU
than v9 code. And I can't find anything that suggests that FreeBSD has
any default flags that take this into account.

Regards
Chris