How Do I Surf To My Server?

Drew Jenkins drewjenkinsjr at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 19 13:15:16 UTC 2007

20----- Original Message ----
From: Chris <racerx at makeworld.com>
To: Drew Jenkins <drewjenkinsjr at yahoo.com>
Cc: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
Sent: Monday, February 19, 2007 9:09:16 AM
Subject: Re: How Do I Surf To My Server?

>If however, you browse from within your own home network, all you need
>is the IP address of the server (assuming that server has apache or some
>other httpd) and your done.

Right, all at home. I have Pound configured (like on my workhorse), not apache. But how do I determine the IP address of the server? I've never set that up before. What file do I edit?

>Servers should NEVER be ip'ed dynamically. Servers should ALWAYS be
>static unless of course, you are running some form of DNS internally.

All I need is something like this:
123.456.78.90:8080/example_site
so I can look at said site.

>Again, if your intent is to access from outside your network - then the
>above is mute and you need to educate yourself with the whole networking
>thing.

I'm glad I can once more dodge that bullet ;)
Drew