How Do I Surf To My Server?

Robert C Wittig wittig.robert at sbcglobal.net
Mon Feb 19 14:02:00 UTC 2007

Drew Jenkins wrote:
> Hi;
> I have a production server that I've crashed a few times by working on it directly and making mistakes. As a result, I've finally built a mock server on my home PC on a separate hard drive with nothing but FBSD. I also have a laptop. All are connected by DHCP to a satellite dish. My question is, how can I surf my laptop to pull up Web pages generated from the home-based FBSD machine? What kind of networking is necessary? How do I call it up? Can this be handled through DHCP, or do I need to use BIND? Or something else? What good resources are out there for studying this? The FBSD manual wasn't much help, unfortunately.
>
> Conversely, I could surf to the FBSD machine from the FBSD machine. But I built this mock server like my workhorse...no mouse, no X, no browser. Would I have to rebuild it to incorporate those? Or just build stuff from ports? Finally, which solution is easiest...surfing from the laptop or from the FBSD machine?

Assuming that you have Apache (or whatever) started and running, and
that both computers are on the LAN (usually in the 192.168.xxx.xxx
range) you should be able to access your internal website by typing in
the private IP address of the server, into your browser, for example:

http://192.168.1.11/

--
-wittig http://www.robertwittig.com/
.       http://robertwittig.net/