Viewing on remote PC

White Hat pigskin_referee at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 14 12:47:48 UTC 2007

FreeBSD-6.2

I have a FBSD computer that I need to access via ssh from a WinXP machine running 'putty'. I am using ssh certificates for authorization. No problem there. I can do anything I want when I access the FBSD machine in this manner, except run something like KDE or XFCE4. I thought I made all of the required changes to the ssh_config and sshd_config as well as 'putty', but evidently not.

Situation:

I have 'startx' set to start 'xfce4' presently. If I type: 'startx' while logged in via ssh, xfce4 will start on the FBSD machine just fine. However, on the WinXP PC with 'putty', all I see are the start up messages on the screen. The actual GUI, etc. never appears. This makes using the program impossible from a remote location.

I am sure I am doing something really stupid here. Perhaps someone could point me i the right direction.

Thanks!

--

White Hat
pigskin_referee at yahoo.com