Newbie--new install on Core 2 Duo?

Gerard gerard at seibercom.net
Tue Feb 13 19:32:28 UTC 2007

On Tuesday February 13, 2007 at 01:42:23 (PM) pete wright wrote:

> how would you define "correct"?  have all systems boot with a SMP
> kernel by default so that machines with multiple processors
> automatically detect all available CPU's?  then what about all the
> users that are using uni-proc systems?
>
> i think the current state of building a system w/o SMP enabled is
> great.  it's not that hard to do a:
>
> cd /usr/src
> make buildkernel KERNCONF=SMP
> make installkernel KERNCONF=SMP
> reboot
>
> this is all covered in the FreeBSD handbook, which all new
> admin's/users should be reading and following closely anyway ;)

It is also a hugh waste of time. Doing the initial system installation,
there should be an option at the very least to enable SMP. Installing
a system, then having to rebuilt and and reinstall it again if counter
productive.

The market is moving toward multiple CPUs. The FBSD installation routine
should embrace that reality and afford it the proper consideration that
it deserves.

--
Gerard

"I choose to ignore, of course, the fact that self-Googling
is perhaps the most narcissistic thing a person can do that doesn't
involve actually humping a mirror."

       Dan Kois