[SOLVED] Help please: how to enable SSH password authentication under FreeBSD 6.2? Solved - but not in an expected way

Alex Zbyslaw xfb52 at dial.pipex.com
Tue Feb 13 16:19:29 UTC 2007

Olaf Greve wrote:

> The issue is that PuTTY does not fall back from its SSH2 attempt to
> SSH1 (with password authentication), as is what I specified in my
> /etc/ssh/sshd_config
>
> Is this what you tried too, or did you use SSH2 (i.e. key
> authentication, instead of password authentication)?

Unless I misunderstand, then you have a serious misapprehension.  SSH1
versus SSH2 is *nothing* to do with keys versus passwords.  Both SSH1
and SSH2 support password or key based authentication.  The difference
is that SSH1 an older protocol and is *insecure* and no-one should still
be using it unless they have some legacy app which really cannot be updated.

I strongly suggest that at the very least you enable SSH2 as the first
protocol in sshd_config with a line like

Protocol 2,1

though from what I can see, SSH2 only has been the default for a while,
and rightly so.

--Alex