[SOLVED] Help please: how to enable SSH password authentication under FreeBSD 6.2? Solved - but not in an expected way

Olaf Greve o.greve at axis.nl
Tue Feb 13 16:12:57 UTC 2007

Hi again,

I must ammend a technically incorrect thing that I wrote previously:

> Is this what you tried too, or did you use SSH2 (i.e. key
> authentication, instead of password authentication)?

Both SSH1 and SSH2 can use password authentication, so I incorrectly
wrote that "PuTTY does not fall back to SSH1 password authentication".

This is an obfuscating statement. The issue in fact, seems to reside in
some issues between PuTTY and FreeBSD 6.2's SSH when it comes down to
the key negotiation (using SSH2), and it simply does not get beyond that
point, and hence almost never presents me with the login prompt.

Perhaps I'll give the SSHD a go with the -d option, and perhaps I'll
also check if I can find PuTTY debug logs; even if it were just for the
heck of not wanting to give in on this. :D

Cheers,
Olafo