Question:encryption tool.

Dak Ghatikachalam dghatikachalam at gmail.com
Sat Feb 10 18:16:25 UTC 2007

On 2/6/07, David Robillard <david.robillard at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2/6/07, Dak Ghatikachalam <dghatikachalam at gmail.com> wrote:
> [...snip!...]
>
> > Thanks a lot  , but we are on Oracle9i  database, the Oracle secure
> backup
> > they are talking would be nice on 10G onwards
>
> Well, not according to the FAQ. Here is what it says:
>
> -- What Oracle database versions does Oracle Secure Backup support?
> Oracle Secure Backup installs with a native integration of Oracle
> Database's via Oracle Recovery Manager (RMAN), which supports Oracle9i
> forward.
>
> So if you're running 9i, you should be alrgiht.

Here is the exception  with Oracle9i  I was not able to encrypt the RMAN
backups, I tried  by best
it does not have an option of encryption

 you will see below I have catalog as 10G database , so I registered itself
as target

Recovery Manager: Release 10.2.0.3.0 - Production on Tue Feb 6 18:52:34 2007

Copyright (c) 1982, 2005, Oracle.  All rights reserved.

connected to target database: CAT10GR2 (DBID=845501569)
connected to recovery catalog database

RMAN> show all;

RMAN configuration parameters are:
CONFIGURE RETENTION POLICY TO REDUNDANCY 1; # default
CONFIGURE BACKUP OPTIMIZATION OFF; # default
CONFIGURE DEFAULT DEVICE TYPE TO DISK; # default
CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP OFF; # default
CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP FORMAT FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK TO '%F'; #
default
CONFIGURE DEVICE TYPE DISK PARALLELISM 1 BACKUP TYPE TO BACKUPSET; # default
CONFIGURE DATAFILE BACKUP COPIES FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK TO 1; # default
CONFIGURE ARCHIVELOG BACKUP COPIES FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK TO 1; # default
CONFIGURE MAXSETSIZE TO UNLIMITED; # default
CONFIGURE ENCRYPTION FOR DATABASE OFF; # default
CONFIGURE ENCRYPTION ALGORITHM 'AES128'; # default
CONFIGURE ARCHIVELOG DELETION POLICY TO NONE; # default
CONFIGURE SNAPSHOT CONTROLFILE NAME TO
'/u01/app/oracle/product/10.2/dbs/snapcf_cat10gr2.f'; # default

RMAN>

You can see that encryption for db and alogorithm option there but you will
not see in Oracle9i

Recovery Manager: Release 9.2.0.7.0 - 64bit Production

Copyright (c) 1995, 2002, Oracle Corporation.  All rights reserved.

connected to target database: RCVCAT (DBID=2859160142)
connected to recovery catalog database

RMAN> show all;

RMAN configuration parameters are:
CONFIGURE RETENTION POLICY TO REDUNDANCY 1; # default
CONFIGURE BACKUP OPTIMIZATION OFF; # default
CONFIGURE DEFAULT DEVICE TYPE TO DISK; # default
CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP OFF; # default
CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP FORMAT FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK TO '%F'; #
default
CONFIGURE DEVICE TYPE DISK PARALLELISM 1; # default
CONFIGURE DATAFILE BACKUP COPIES FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK TO 1; # default
CONFIGURE ARCHIVELOG BACKUP COPIES FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK TO 1; # default
CONFIGURE MAXSETSIZE TO UNLIMITED; # default
CONFIGURE SNAPSHOT CONTROLFILE NAME TO
'/u01/app/oracle/product/9.2.0.7/dbs/snapcf_rcvcat.f'; # default

my impression about the FAQ on secure-backup what oracle talks about ,
encryption, archivelog deletion policy is  that in simply focuses on 10g
database and above.

yes i went thru th claims of secure of 9i , but  the command of set
enryption on identified by "password"  or CONFIGURE ENCRYPTION FOR DATABASE
on identified by "password" is the command of 10G not sure if that would
would work on 9i database even we were to use the secure - backup with 9i.

You can get your hands on the FAQ at