/tmp getting full form portmanager

Gerard Seibert gerard at seibercom.net
Thu Feb 8 10:46:48 UTC 2007

On Wednesday February 07, 2007 at 07:43:01 (PM) Noah wrote:

> I dont think this is an adequate solution.
>
> /tmp is filling up during the portmanager run.  in other words - while I
> am running /tmp fills up.  so it needs to be erased periodically while
> portmanager is running or else no other packages can be downloaded

Please don't top post. If you don't know what that means, Google for it.

Exactly how much space are these files taking up? I run portmanager
weekly and have never, ever seen this phenomena. Yes, it does produce
some temporary files to keep track of what it is doing, files to be
excluded, etc., but they are relatively small. I would certainly not
recommend that you delete them while portmanager is actually running
though.

What are you referring to by: "while portmanager is running or else no
other packages can be downloaded". I can log in as a different user, or
simply run portmanager in the background and then proceed to download
files or do virtually anything else I desire, with the possible
exception of running another instance of portmanager. Exactly how are
you being affected?

Have you tried cleaning out the "/usr/ports/distfiles" directory after
doing an update? Those files are not needed any more. They can take up a
considerable amount of space.

Perhaps you could be a little more specific about what you are
attempting to do. Also, would you include the output of:

    df -h

I would be interested in what your drive looks like.

--
Gerard