CDROM Boot Hangs But Only Under 6.x

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Tue Dec 25 23:09:41 PST 2007

The boot was changed from 4.x to the later series.  I think it was
changed from "floppy emulation boot" to "cd boot" or some such
nonsense.  You can get more info by reading up in the handbook
where it talks about how to create a distribution CD.  One of the
options on the cdburn controls this.

If your MB is new it should work.  Older MB's have problems with
the "new way" to boot off an optical cd.  You can try BIOS/CMOS
updates from the motherbard mfg if they are available.  Sometimes
even back-flashing to older BIOS fixes it.

> 3) Reordering/removing memory sticks made no difference.  I am running
>     a memory test ATM just to be sure, but so far, the memory seems fine.
>
> 4) No amount of poking around in the BIOS settings seems to help either.
>
> I am starting to suspect the MOBO.  If I stick a couple of cards in the
> two available PCI slots, the system has trouble taking me into the BIOS
> screen.  I have to remove the cards to reliably get into the BIOS
> settings menu.  I wonder if this is one of those situations where there
> are not enough IRQs to go around.

If it's a new MB the PCI cards are probably too old/slow to work right.

Another thing to check is if the MB has any overclock settings turned
on, these will screw up booting, going into BIOS, and some PCI cards.
Go to BIOS and select "reset to factory settings" which turns off all
the go-fast stuff.  And make sure you confirm the CPU speed in BIOS
with the actual speed stamped on the CPU.

Sometimes you just got to stick a floppy disk drive on the thing and
boot from the 4 boot floppies then do an FTP install.  I have about
a dozen servers among the collection I manage that are like this -
some are even newer ones.

Ted