BIND9 won't start

Darren Spruell phatbuckett at gmail.com
Sun Dec 23 16:27:52 PST 2007

On Dec 23, 2007 3:45 PM, QADMOS <qadmos at free.fr> wrote:
> Gelsema, P (Patrick) a écrit :

> >> Well i've also tried that actually and when i do that :
> >> 1/ nothing is logged
> >> 2/ nothing is launched either
> >>

> > Do you have the following in rc.conf?
> >
> > hulk# cat /etc/rc.conf | grep named
> > named_enable="YES"
> >
> > To me it seems your problem lies in the fact that named is not starting,
> > so rndc can not control anything.
> >
> > Rgds,
> >
> > Patrick
> >

> >> there's just no error message despite that the named is not running
> >> (checked with ps waux | grep named )
> >>

> Well Patrick i followed your suggestion and rebooted (it didn't do much
> after just editing rc.conf) the box and now "/etc/rc.d/named start"
> works fine annd named is running, 'rndc' still has the same problem
> though (???)
>
> I'm a bit befuddled though, because i don't understand why it's
> necessary to use the named_enable directive to have named running ? I
> understand this is necessary if you want the daemon to run at boot time
> but why is this necessary if you want to run it manually once the box is
> on ?

/etc/rc.d/named is the rc script to control (start, stop etc.) named,
and this script is "inactive" unless  you've specified that named is
to be enabled using the named_enable variable. You can get around the
need to activate the variable by prefixing your commands with the
'force' keyword (e.g. /etc/rc.d/named forcestart, etc.)

Use sockstat(1) to figure out if the control port (953/tcp) is
listening. 'sockstat -4l' should show a listener on 127.0.0.1:953.

Also, 'start' is not a valid command to rndc. You would have a chicken
and egg problem; if named has not been started, then there is no
service to handle the start command to rndc. Use the rc script to
start named and rndc to control its runtime operation.

DS