panic: incompetent for BIO_WRITE

CyberLeo Kitsana cyberleo at cyberleo.net
Sat Dec 22 02:01:46 PST 2007

Hi!

Just a few minutes ago, I noticed one of my machines was stuck with this
message on the console:

GEOM_RAID5: KASSERT in line 1352
panic: incompetent for BIO_WRITE
cpuid = 0
Uptime: 1h33m15s
GEOM_RAID5: raid5/raid5: device is still open, so it cannot be
definitely removed.
GEOM_RAID5: raid5: worker thread exiting.

I am concerned that it neither dumped core nor rebooted.. it just stuck
there. Is this intended behavior for such a panic, or do I need to
fiddle with some knobs to make sure it comes back up afterwards, and
preferably leaves me with some evidence with which to debug the panic?

Thanks!

--
Fuzzy love,
-CyberLeo