6.2 and Asus A7N8X-E

NetOpsCenter noc at hdk5.net
Thu Dec 20 11:01:54 PST 2007

Erik Trulsson wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 20, 2007 at 10:01:04AM -0700, At Home wrote:
>
>> I've got an extra Asus A7N8X-E mobo I'm trying to bring 6.2 up on.
>>   AMD 3200+, Barton
>>   2G PC-3200 rom, 1G OCZ and 1G Kingston valueram
>>   Seagate ES ST3250820NS Sata drives jumpered for 1.5GB only
>>   NVidia FX5600 AGP display adapter
>>
>> I checked the archives and found comments about disabling ACPI, which I've
>> done, but it still hangs at various points in the process of loading up the
>> disk.
>>
>> I've tried turning off the on-board SATA controller and using an Adaptec
>> SATA controller with no improvement.  I've also tried slowing the clock and
>> a few other de-optimizations, to no avail.
>>
>> Is this basically a bad idea, or is there some piece of the puzzle I'm
>> missing?  Any help would be much appreciated.
>>

> Checking the specifications of that motherboard, there is nothing obvious
> that should prevent it from working with FreeBSD.
>

> If the process stops at different places each time, then it sounds like
> bad hardware.
> The kind of hardware problems that most often give "strange" errors are:
> a) Bad RAM.  Check your memory with memtest86 (or equivalent.)  Try removing
>    one of the memory sticks at a time.
> b) Bad power supply.  Try another if you have one.
> c) Overheating of some component.  Make sure you have adequate cooling of
>    the system.
>

> You could also try updating the BIOS, in case some bugs have been fixed in a
> later version.  Problems with ACPI are almost always due to bugs in the BIOS.

Aloha Gary,

I agree with the hardware diagnosis.

I have an ASUS A8N-VM CSM mobo running FreeBSD 7.*
Dual AMD  CPU
There are still unreliable on board hardware issues with my board so it
is only used for receiving email and as a desktop.
No on line work that matters.

It did not like FreeBSD 6.1 when I tried to load it as the OS. So I
tried 7 and it at least worked.  This may work for you.

I just loaded FreeBSD 8.* onto a Winfast mobo to try out on a  box I
made and it was smooth going. The developers have come a long way with
aFreeBSD since I started using 3.* many years ago.

  + http://hawaiidakine.com + http://freebsdinfo.org + noc at hdk5.net +
  + http://aloha50.net   - Supporting - FreeBSD 6.* - 7.* +