Bare Metal Recovery FreeBSD How To

Nuno Gonçalves nuno at fccn.pt
Wed Dec 19 07:23:07 PST 2007

Hi all,

I am trying to do a Bare Metal Recovery from a FreeBSD 6.0 system to a
different Hardware.

I have a backup from all partitions of the affected system so I am trying to
install a minimum FreeBSD 6.0 in a different hardware which I already have
up and running.

I created a Swap Partition, a “/” partition where the minimum system is
running, and a third partition “/backup” in which I will restore the backup
through the network.

Next step will be to change the boot manager and make it boot through
“/backup”.

Do you guys think this is doable?

I Think I probably must recompile the kernel after the bare metal recovery
because the hardware is different, still do you think it might work?

What is your opinion on this? What should be the best approach ?

Thanks for reading and

Best regards

Nuno