Realtek sound driver query

Pietro Cerutti gahr at gahr.ch
Wed Dec 19 06:15:42 PST 2007

Chris Makepeace wrote:
> I am a Linux distro fiddler who is trying to settle down...
Good idea ;-)

> Just installed PC-BSD and the ".../dev/dsp could not be opened (no
> such file or directory)" error appeared.  "Mixer cannot be found",
> says the little panel icon.
>
> Sound is supposed to come via an integrated Realtek ACL883 chip on the
> P965 main board.

I have the same chip, which is supported by the snd_hda driver. If you
have access to the kernel sources, you could try the following:

# cd /usr/src/sys/modules/sound/driver/hda/
# make && make install
# cd /usr/src/sys/modules/sound/sound
# make && make install
# kldload snd_hda

and see whether something appears on your /var/log/messages and the
output of `cat /dev/sndstat`

Best,

--
Pietro Cerutti