Suggestions please for what POP or IMAP servers to use

Andrew Falanga af300wsm at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 19:35:23 PST 2007

On Dec 13, 2007 10:06 PM, Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm at toybox.placo.com> wrote:

> > The developer is very adamant about writing dovecot strictly to
> > the letter of the IMAP specification.  He's also discovered many
> > of the popular clients have bugs, and are unable to work (or at
> > least have issues) with an IMAP server that goes purely by the rules.
> >
> > He refused to "break" his software to work around bugs on the
> > client side, but ultimately compromised by writing in
> > work-arounds that you can enable in the config file.  You can
> > enable them all if you like.
> >

> Which is a really dumb attitude since the dovecot developer was
> not the author of the IMAP standard and probably was in diapers
> when the standard was first written:

I agree with your sentiment that, "who can use a server that no client can
connect to?"  However, that being said, why write a standard you don't
intend to adhere too?  It's a crying shame that folks write standards for
things like IMAP and e-mail client providers don't follow them.  I wished
more people were like this fellow who writes Dovecot!  If more people were
strict about server interfaces, then perhaps more vendors would write their
code to the standard instead of those who write the standards enabling poor
compliance by "dumbing" down their servers.

Ok, I'm off my soap box.

Andy