Apparently, csh programming is considered harmful.

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Thu Dec 13 18:42:37 PST 2007

On Thu, 13 Dec 2007, Chad Perrin wrote:

> I ran across this today:
>
>  http://www.faqs.org/faqs/unix-faq/shell/csh-whynot/
>
> Title:
>  Csh Programming Considered Harmful
>
> I wonder what responses I might get here, and how much of this applies to
> tcsh as well (I'm still not exactly a tcsh expert).

I like csh/tcsh as a shell, but don't use it to run scripts.

/bin/sh is the One True Shell Script Interpreter; heathen bashisms are
just as bad as csh constructs.

When you can't use a higher-level language (Perubython), use shell
scripts.  But stick to plain sh, because if it's useful you'll probably
end up having to convert it to sh anyway.