copying DVD material :: somewhat OT.

RW fbsd06 at mlists.homeunix.com
Sun Dec 9 17:37:00 PST 2007

On Sun, 9 Dec 2007 14:45:22 +0000
neal <kneel.pardoe at virgin.net> wrote:

> I have had unsolvable (so far) problems with playing both
> dvd movies and cd audio. MPlayer will play VOBs but no
> menus, no navigation which can make watching pretty much
> impossible sometimes.
>
> I had actually given up on trying to get these two features
> to work and have installed a new linux (to me), Kubuntu.

Probably Kubuntu was using Kmplayer with the Xine backend. Xine has DVD
menu support and AFAIK MPlayer doesn't on any platform. I would normally
use Xine for DVDs and most video files as its picture quality is
better. That said, if you want to play DVDs through mplayer you can navigate
via the gmplayer context menu - you don't need to play the vob files
directly.