help wanted configuring HPLIP

Anish Mistry amistry at am-productions.biz
Fri Dec 7 13:03:26 PST 2007

On Friday 07 December 2007, Robert Huff wrote:
> Predrag Punosevac writes:
> >  > 	I've got it installed, see the post-install configuration
> >  > message, and have questions about how it will interact with
> >  > existing printers.
> >
> >  You might want to repeat your message as attachments are
> > stripped by the FreeBSD mail server.
>
> 	Didn't send an attachment.
> 	Here's the scenario:
> 	Computer in question is runnong -CURRENT and already has CUPS
> installed for the (parallel attached) LaserJet 6mp.
> 	I now have access to a PSC 7xx, which I would like to use 0<x<1
> % for color printing and the rest for scanning.  As far as i can
> tell sane by itself does not have the ability to do this, but it
> concert with HPLIP it does.
> 	First question: is this correct?  Not just connect to the PSC,
> but use both devices at once>  If not, then I just abort the whole
> plan.
> 	After seeing the post-installation message for HPLIP, I wat to
> understand what I'm doing before messing with devfs.  (Revuilding
> the kernel is no biggie, though I don't think that'll be
> necessary.) And, frankly, configuring CUPS is usually as pleasant
> as aggrssive dysentery.
You should be fine since your other printer is a parallel port
printer.  The HPLIP port doesn't configure parallel port printers so
just use the normal CUPS configuration.  There are some issues with
the PSC printers and getting attached as umass devices.  Search the
archives for more info.  Basically a real solution for the umass
issue won't appear until the HPS USB stack grows "generic device
access for already claimed usb devices" support sometime next year.

--
Anish Mistry
amistry at am-productions.biz
AM Productions http://am-productions.biz/