Freebsd filesystem ( hard reboot )

NetOpsCenter noc at hdk5.net
Thu Dec 6 17:00:05 PST 2007

Randy Ramsdell wrote:
> Robert Huff wrote:
>> Randy Ramsdell writes:
>>
>>>  > What is the value of background_fsck in /etc/rc.conf ?
>>>  >    This isn't set. Was is supposed to be? So far, I have only
>>>  installed applications we need. And everything seem fine except
>>>  the reboot issue.
>>>

>>     I'm going to jump in here.
>>     Based on what you've said, it sounds like:
>>
>>     the system was running
>>     there was power outage, the system did not have a UPS
>>     when the system rebooted, fsck complained but nothing was done
>>         about the errors
>>

> Let me clarify. All our servers are on UPSes, however the power outage
> outlasted the UPSes. That is why I stated prolonged power outage.
> Fsck did complain, but everything was fixed as I sat there and dealt
> with it. We do not want to deal with it in an offsite location and
> that is why this thread.
>
>>     IF THAT'S TRUE ...
>>         ... then the "seems" in your description is applicable,
>> and should be a red flag.      Get someone to the system, reboot it
>> into single user mode, and
>> run (and re-run) fsck until it runs without error.  (Answer 'y' to
>> all prompts.) This should be done whenever the file system is not
>> shutdown cleanly.
>>
> The filesystem is fine. Our set up just does not recover gracefully on
> hard reboots.
>>     (And consider a UPS, even it it only keeps the system alive for
>> the few minutes necessary for a clean shutdown.)
>>       Is a dirty file system causing the reboots?
> No. a power prolonged power failure caused the last  shutdown.
>> Possibly; wiser
>> heads than mine would have to lay out scearios.  But it may also be
>> responsible for other damage, more subtle but equally unpleasant.  A
>> fix is available.  Use it.
>>     I understand this will not be easy, and I sympathize.  Balance
>> that pain against the small but non-trivial chance to catastrophic
>> data loss, and choose wisely.
>>

>>                     Robert Huff
>>

> Thanks for the reply.
>
> I think I will just set the rc.conf variable to answer "Y" to fsck
> questions unless there is a better way.
> A side note, this system has been hard shutdown two times and each
> time required intervention. We also use several Linux system (
> reiserfs and ext3 ) and raely do I have to interact with the systems
> on reboot. There is a differnce and I am in the fisrt stages trying to
> understand this.
>

> PS. I am confused about why so many people are replying to the list
> and my personal e-mail. This one was sent to me only. Others were sent
> to me and the list. Actually, every other reply. Is this normal for
> the list as I am new as of today?

Aloha,

If the power outages are prolonged and outlast the UPS you can parallel
the small battery in the UPS  with a 100 amp hour  stationary battery if
you have the room. We can get 9 hours on a stationery battery for our
servers if we lose power here in Hawaii. (which just happened this week
during a winter storm.)

  + http://hawaiidakine.com + http://freebsdinfo.org + noc at hdk5.net +
  + http://aloha50.net   - Supporting - FreeBSD 6.* - 7.* +