more then 2G shm on RELENG_7

Gergely CZUCZY phoemix at harmless.hu
Wed Dec 5 04:11:15 PST 2007

Hello,

I'm to test PostgreSQL on a 7-BETA3. The box has 12GB of memory in it,
I've adjusted the sysctls, but postgresql always fails to allocate the
SHM if it's bigger then 2GB.

How can I make it to allocate more SHM than 2G at once?

sysctl.conf:
kern.ipc.shmall=1572864
kern.ipc.shmmax=6442450944
kern.ipc.semmap=1024
kern.ipc.shm_use_phys=1

/boot/loader.conf:
zfs_load="YES"
vm.kmem_size="1073741824"
vm.kmem_size_max="1073741824"
kern.ipc.semmni=1024
kern.ipc.semmns=2048
kern.ipc.semmnu=1024

I've also hit a similar issue with qemu, but that wasn't shared memory,
I had just tried to make it allocate more than 2GBs for a single vm, but
that also failed. Still haven't figured out why was that.

Sincerely,

Gergely Czuczy
mailto: gergely.czuczy at harmless.hu

--
Weenies test. Geniuses solve problems that arise.