System Reboots with Bittorrent Use

Derek Ragona derek at computinginnovations.com
Sat Dec 1 10:32:59 PST 2007

At 11:53 AM 12/1/2007, ruggeri at uchicago.edu wrote:
>Hi!  I have had this problem before, so let me narrate the
>history (quickly).
>
>I used to use the rtorrent port.  However, when running
>rtorrent (never any other time) the system would spontaneously
>reboot.  I couldn't figure out what exactly the problem was,
>but when I switched to deluge (another bittorrent port) the
>problem seemed to go away.
>
>I have since reformatted my computer.  I began using deluge
>again a couple weeks ago, but am again experiencing
>spontaneous reboots, now when using deluge (I don't have
>rtorrent installed).  I don't get any message in
>/var/logs/messages (is there a way to make the computer log
>more?  Are there other logs I should check?).  In general the
>file system needs to be cleaned after the reboot.
>
>Could this be a driver problem, by any chance?  I use Deluge
>version 0.5.6.2, freeBSD version 6.3 Prerelease.
>
>If any more information would help, I'd be happy to provide
>it.  Thanks if you can offer any help at all!  I'm still
>fairly new to *BSD.

It could be anything that relates to bad hardware.  But since you believe
it is related to the network, and bittorrent use, I would first suspect the
NIC.  If possible I would swap NIC's and see it the problem still is
there.  In swapping NIC's I would avail using any with realtek chips and
opt for a better supported NIC chip like one of the intel NICs.

Otherwise you can run any diagnostic software you have for your hardware,
and if you post back include the full dmesg output.

         -Derek

believed to be clean.