NFS export subdirs on different file systems?

Pieter de Goeje pieter at degoeje.nl
Tue Aug 21 02:40:19 PDT 2007

On Tuesday 21 August 2007, Rakhesh Sasidharan wrote:
> > I have a directory /net/store. This directory is exported to all machines
> > on my network.
> >
> > I have a sub-directory /net/store/photos. That too is exported to all
> > machines on my network.
> >
> > What I want is that when I mount /net/store from another machine, the
> > contents of /net/store/photos too be visible. Is there any way I can do
> > that?
> >
> > From the manpage and the handbook and Google etc I get the idea that it
> > might not be possible. Still, asking just in case there are any
> > round-about ways ... I would assume a scenario like this is common.
> >
> > [I need /net/store/photos to be on a separate partition coz its encrypted
> > and stuff. And I'd rather have it appear as part of the /net/store
> > namespace ...]
>
> Forgot to add: the two directories are imported "dynamically" on the
> client side. So I can't just make fstab entries on the client side to
> mount both points. I use AMD to mount /net/store when needed. And I can't
> for the life of me figure how to make it mount /net/store/photos too when
> needed -- I dont think that's possible(?) ...
I have that configuration working.
In /etc/exports:
/pub    -alldirs        client
/pub/video -alldirs     client
On the client side, I didn't change anything to the configuration of AMD.
Simply cd'ing to /host/server/pub and then 'cd video' does the right thing. I
don't think -alldirs is really needed, but it's there for convenience.

Regards,
Pieter de Goeje