NFS export subdirs on different file systems?

Rakhesh Sasidharan rakhesh at rakhesh.com
Tue Aug 21 00:45:31 PDT 2007

> I have a directory /net/store. This directory is exported to all machines on
> my network.
>
> I have a sub-directory /net/store/photos. That too is exported to all
> machines on my network.
>
> What I want is that when I mount /net/store from another machine, the
> contents of /net/store/photos too be visible. Is there any way I can do that?
>
> From the manpage and the handbook and Google etc I get the idea that it might
> not be possible. Still, asking just in case there are any round-about ways
> ... I would assume a scenario like this is common.
>
> [I need /net/store/photos to be on a separate partition coz its encrypted and
> stuff. And I'd rather have it appear as part of the /net/store namespace ...]

Forgot to add: the two directories are imported "dynamically" on the
client side. So I can't just make fstab entries on the client side to
mount both points. I use AMD to mount /net/store when needed. And I can't
for the life of me figure how to make it mount /net/store/photos too when
needed -- I dont think that's possible(?) ...