misc question #2:: howto stream .RAM/realplay via "kmplayer"??

Gary Kline kline at tao.thought.org
Mon Apr 30 00:58:45 UTC 2007

On Sun, Apr 29, 2007 at 11:13:52PM +0200, Danny Pansters wrote:
> On Sunday 29 April 2007 03:55:04 you wrote:
> > On Sun, Apr 29, 2007 at 12:32:37AM +0200, Danny Pansters wrote:
> > 	Yeah, I finally finally clicked on the Other tab.  But then what?
> > 	Where are the mimetypes and config for konqueror??
>
> In the list on the left? I bet it's also in some file, but that's what I do if
> I want to change default viewer for certain mime types. The "search for file
> pattern" is useful. Agreed, it helps if you know what to look for. Seems to
> me that googling for 'realplayer mimetypes' or something would be a start.
> Sorry that I can't easily present you with a complete list.
>
> > > Mime types would include/have: vn-realmedia, rm, ra, ram, rv, smil,
> > > vn-realaudio vn-realvideo, x-pn-realaudio, and several other older ones.
> > > If you don't find them all at first you'll find them when encountering a
> > > oddly mime-ified stream that wont play.
> >
> > 	I do have a ~/.mimetypes file on this server.  Maybe I'll
> > 	just scp it over and see.
>
> My first guess would be that that's for your unix account's email. KDE
> settings and resource files are under ~/.kde/shared
>
> > > There's another way to have Real with konqueror, and that is with the
> > > plugin that comes with the realplayer port. It may have poor layout in
> > > the webpage but at least it does support moving back and forth in the
> > > stream. To make this work you use the linuxpluginwrapper port and an
> > > appropriate libmap.conf.
> >
> > 	Well getting  the plugin is a no-brainer; same with the
> > 	linuxwrapper/plugin port; but the libmap.cnf is another matter!
> > 	Do you have one to send?   Or anyone else on-list?
>

> The only Realvideo stream I regularly watch is DemocracyNow. It's perfectly
> possible that their setup is weird or even that their "streaming solution"
> tries to not serve non-official clients, such as mplayer. It's hard to tell.
> I'd say that if it doesnt play in realplayer it wont play in mplayer either.

	[[ save the electrons ]]

	Well, long-story-shory, I set up everything to grab the
	/usr/X11R6/bin/realplay binary, but *still*, if I click on
	the "Real Audio" stream, Konqueror pops up a list at me
	that includes "Multimedia" and several other broswer-things.
	After I type in "realplay" (or the full path), yes, the
	linuxplugin doees appear.

	After two hours of fooling around, realplay does work, but it
	is not fully automatic.  But I'm just happy that using the
	KDE tools that almosteverything Just-Works!

	thanks for your help, Dan.  Appreciate it.

	chow fer niao,

	gary

	PS:  Someday maybe I'll know enough to be able to write up
	     a tutorial [with graphics].  If I tried that *now*
	     I'd almost certainly screw things up completely and
	     there would be even more dents in the concrete outside!

--
  Gary Kline  kline at thought.org   www.thought.org  Public Service Unix