misc question #2:: howto stream .RAM/realplay via "kmplayer"??

Danny Pansters danny at ricin.com
Sun Apr 29 21:14:47 UTC 2007

On Sunday 29 April 2007 03:55:04 you wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 29, 2007 at 12:32:37AM +0200, Danny Pansters wrote:
> > On Saturday 28 April 2007 21:57:21 Gary Kline wrote:
> > > 	I'm still building my backup DNS server on my remaining Kayak
> > > 	playing with various window managers (aka "desktops"). Stuck.
> > > 	To any browser/media/audio wizards out there in freebsd-land:
> > >
> > > 	A few weeks ago (after failing with both mozilla and firefox)
> > > 	I tried the KDE broswer to stream video.  And after several
> > > 	tries, got kmplayer working with Konqueror.  It streams windows
> > > 	video and better yet, streams windows audio (using the Mplayer
> > > 	backend).  But there are some NPR/PBS webcasts only in
> > > 	real-audio.  After a few hours of poking around the web and
> > > 	trying to reconfigure Konqueror I-give-up.
> > >
> > > 	I've reached the "File Association" -> "Audio" and to
> > > 	"x-pn-realplay" {or something like that}, then I'm wedged.
> > > 	Is there an honest textfile I can use to associate [.ra, .rm,
> > > 	.ram] with /usr/X11R6/bin/realplay????
> > >
> > > 	thanks for any help!
> > >

> > > 	gary
> >
> > First, you need to confirm that you can play Real in kmplayer. You must
> > have the win32 codecs. Fast forward and such in a Real stream will be a
> > bitch. But it plays. Then you want to go through the mime types in
> > konqueror's config and set kmplayer to the first app to play such types
> > with. And for embedding (the other tab) set the kmplayer_part or
> > whatsitcalled as the first or only.
>
> 	Yeah, I finally finally clicked on the Other tab.  But then what?
> 	Where are the mimetypes and config for konqueror??

In the list on the left? I bet it's also in some file, but that's what I do if
I want to change default viewer for certain mime types. The "search for file
pattern" is useful. Agreed, it helps if you know what to look for. Seems to
me that googling for 'realplayer mimetypes' or something would be a start.
Sorry that I can't easily present you with a complete list.

> > Mime types would include/have: vn-realmedia, rm, ra, ram, rv, smil,
> > vn-realaudio vn-realvideo, x-pn-realaudio, and several other older ones.
> > If you don't find them all at first you'll find them when encountering a
> > oddly mime-ified stream that wont play.
>
> 	I do have a ~/.mimetypes file on this server.  Maybe I'll
> 	just scp it over and see.

My first guess would be that that's for your unix account's email. KDE
settings and resource files are under ~/.kde/shared

> > There's another way to have Real with konqueror, and that is with the
> > plugin that comes with the realplayer port. It may have poor layout in
> > the webpage but at least it does support moving back and forth in the
> > stream. To make this work you use the linuxpluginwrapper port and an
> > appropriate libmap.conf.
>
> 	Well getting  the plugin is a no-brainer; same with the
> 	linuxwrapper/plugin port; but the libmap.cnf is another matter!
> 	Do you have one to send?   Or anyone else on-list?

I have this for Real plugin:

# Helix RealPlayer with Mozilla/Firebird/Galeon/Epiphany/Konqueror/Kazehakase
[/usr/X11R6/lib/linux-mozilla/plugins/nphelix.so]
libstdc++.so.5                  libstdc++.so.5
libc.so.6                       pluginwrapper/realplayer.so
libm.so.6                       libm.so.4
libgcc_s.so.1                   pluginwrapper/realplayer.so

> > Both work reasonably well, or equally bad depending on the tilting of the
> > earth and the humidity on the moon :) I usually prefer kmplayer because
> > it can be used as a general a/v plugin replacement in konqueror and if
> > something with Real doesn't work I can always try to "Open with.."
> > realplayer instead.
> >
> 	:-)
>
> 	I do the open-with and it starts to work/tries to, then hangs.
> 	I'd just like to be able to watch the BBC/PBS stuff and listen to
> 	Windose or Real streams without too much hassle!

The only Realvideo stream I regularly watch is DemocracyNow. It's perfectly
possible that their setup is weird or even that their "streaming solution"
tries to not serve non-official clients, such as mplayer. It's hard to tell.
I'd say that if it doesnt play in realplayer it wont play in mplayer either.

Dan