Thunderbird 2.0 dumps core on second file open op (workaround)

Garrett Cooper youshi10 at u.washington.edu
Sat Apr 28 05:14:59 UTC 2007

Howard Goldstein wrote:
> Jan Henrik Sylvester wrote:
>> Michel Le Cocq wrote:
>>> I think it's a global thunderbird 2 bug, because i have exactly the
>>> same trouble ona mac os 10.4 with a binary update.
>>
>> I do not think it is exactly the same -- see below.

>> After reading the discussion in the PR, I renamed libgnome-2.so.0 and
>> tried again: no crashes with Firefox 2.0.3 or Thunderbird 2.0.0. I do
>> run KDE -- I probably should compile Firefox and Thunderbird without
>> the gnome dependencies to solve it for me.
>
> I wish I'd googled for KDE along with this as the problem was apparently
> fixed once for KDE, although for some reason came back again now for
> some of us.  Here's a link to the very same bug along with a fix that
> was targeted only for KDE
>
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-gnome/2006-December/016299.html
>
> Based on your find Jan it's fairly simple to workaround this in the
> 2.0.0.0 Makefile by disabling gnomeui and gnomevfs linkages.  Here's my
> diff which also includes tiny cruft disabling ldap during the build
> since I can't build an LDAPable thunderbird2 on my system.
>
> (before the diff, following up, reverting CFLAGS to -O -pipe and the
> default CPUTYPE didn't help, neither did installing gnome2)

> *** mail/thunderbird/Makefile.orig	Fri Apr 27 18:00:27 2007
> --- mail/thunderbird/Makefile	Fri Apr 27 19:15:58 2007
> ***************
> *** 17,23 ****
>   COMMENT=	Mozilla Thunderbird is standalone mail and news that stands above
>
>   CONFLICTS=	lightning-0.[0-9]*
> ! WANT_GNOME=	yes
>   ALL_TARGET=	default
>   CONFIGURE_ENV=	LOCALBASE=${LOCALBASE}
>   HAS_CONFIGURE=	yes
> --- 17,25 ----
>   COMMENT=	Mozilla Thunderbird is standalone mail and news that stands above
>
>   CONFLICTS=	lightning-0.[0-9]*
> ! #hgWANT_GNOME=	yes
> ! WANT_GNOME=	no
> ! #hg
>   ALL_TARGET=	default
>   CONFIGURE_ENV=	LOCALBASE=${LOCALBASE}
>   HAS_CONFIGURE=	yes
> ***************
> *** 31,36 ****
> --- 33,41 ----
>   MOZ_GRAPHICS=	default,-xbm
>   MOZ_OPTIONS=	--enable-single-profile --disable-profilesharing	\
>   		--enable-application=mail --enable-official-branding
> + #hg
> + MOZ_OPTIONS+=	--disable-ldap  --disable-gnomeui --disable-gnomevfs
> + #hg
>   MOZ_MK_OPTIONS=	MOZ_MOZ_THUNDERBIRD=1
>   MOZ_EXPORT=	MOZ_THUNDERBIRD=1

Based on someone's comments about OSX though, there might be an issue
with the underlying base system or kernel in FreeBSD <6.2 that
Thunderbird 2 unearths, dealing with filesystem handling, threading,
linking, or something along those lines (I know, that really doesn't
narrow down the list). It should be a core component though because
Thunderbird under OSX doesn't have any GTK or X11 support compiled in
and is natively run under Aqua.

I'll look for the core dump sent previously, but if more people can
contribute their core dumps this would help isolate the issue. The
bigger (and compressed) the better, as long as you don't have sensitive
data hanging around in the background. This might just help capture the
problem at hand.

Hardware specs and CPUTYPE, as well as whether or not you're running a
custom or generic kernel with what options would help as well. Please
link off site if you can.

After that maybe we should all band together and submit a bug report.

Now let me see if I can reproduce it on my iBook :).

Thanks,
-Garrett