Dell D610 touchpad configuration

Victor Engmark victor.engmark at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 14:57:48 UTC 2007

Hi all,

I'm attempting to configure my laptop properly for X.org, and the only
device which doesn't work properly now is the touchpad. The tutorials
I've seen so far seem to assume that all touchpads use the Synaptic
driver, but this is the information I get at boot time, and which I
assume is the touchpad:
$ dmesg | grep psm0
psm0: <PS/2 Mouse> irq 12 on atkbdc0
psm0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
psm0: model GlidePoint, device ID 0

Apropos, "dmesg | grep -i synapt" gives no output, and "dmesg | grep
-i mouse" only shows the PS/2 + the USB mouse.

I've tried a lot of tutorials, restarting whenever I change something,
but I always end up with the following problem:
$ grep ^\(EE\) /var/log/Xorg.0.log
(EE) Synaptics Touchpad Found no Synaptics, found Mouse model 1 instead
(EE) Synaptics Touchpad no synaptics touchpad detected and no repeater device
(EE) Synaptics Touchpad Unable to query/initialize Synaptics hardware.
(EE) PreInit failed for input device "Synaptics Touchpad"

Another command which might shed some light over the situation:
$ cat /dev/psm0
cat: /dev/psm0: Resource temporarily unavailable

Relevant sections from /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
Section "ServerFlags"
  Option "DefaultServerLayout"  "Dell Latitude D610"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
  Identifier     "Dell Latitude D610"
  Screen      0  "Dell Latitude D610 screen" 0 0
  InputDevice    "Dell USB mouse" "CorePointer"
  InputDevice    "Synaptics Touchpad" "AlwaysCore"
  InputDevice    "Dell Latitude D610 keyboard" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

Section "Module"
  Load  "synaptics" # Ran this first: cd
/usr/ports/x11-servers/synaptics && make install
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
  Identifier      "Synaptics Touchpad"
  Driver          "synaptics"
  Option          "AlwaysCore"
  Option          "Device"                "/dev/psm0"
  Option          "Protocol"              "psm"
  #Option          "SendCoreEvents"        "on"
  Option          "LeftEdge"              "1700"
  Option          "RightEdge"             "5300"
  Option          "TopEdge"               "1700"
  Option          "BottomEdge"            "4200"
  Option          "FingerLow"             "25"
  Option          "FingerHigh"            "30"
  Option          "MaxTapTime"            "180"
  Option          "MaxTapMove"            "220"
  Option          "VertScrollDelta"       "100"
  Option          "HorizScrollDelta"      "100"
  Option          "MinSpeed"              "0.06"
  Option          "MaxSpeed"              "0.06"
  Option          "AccelFactor"           "0.0010"
  Option          "ScrollButtonRepeat"    "100"
  Option          "UpDownScrolling"       "on"
  Option          "UpDownRepeat"          "on"
  Option          "LeftRightScrolling"    "on"
  Option          "LeftRightRepeat"       "on"
  Option          "SHMConfig"             "on"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
  Identifier  "Dell USB mouse"
  Driver      "mouse"
  Option      "CorePointer"
  Option      "Device" "/dev/sysmouse"
  Option      "Protocol" "auto"
  Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
EndSection

For the record, the USB mouse, keyboard, and graphical settings work fine.

--
Victor Engmark
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur - What is said in Latin,