lost password caused by drunk admin

Jeffrey Goldberg jeffrey at goldmark.org
Tue Apr 17 16:31:29 UTC 2007

On Apr 16, 2007, at 8:59 PM, Lewis Joshua wrote:

> Can anyone help me out? The unit has no reset buttons to reset it
> to defaults there is nothing online that I can find to bypass the
> unit. I did a port scan and it appears to only be listening on port
> 80. Any thoughts out there? Please.

Does it have any way to attach a console?  If so, can you power cycle
it and boot single user?

If you do, you may be able to reset the password that way, or if you
can't directly reset it, you can grab a copy of /etc/password.master
and then run "john" on that.  john, I think, can be configured to
just try four digit numbers.

But if it's only listening on port 80, and there is no console, then
it shouldn't be too hard to put together a perl (or python or your
favorite scripting language) to try the 10000 log ins via HTTP.
Though a hangover might make the task more difficult.

-j