lost password caused by drunk admin

Lewis Joshua joshua.lewis at familyfunzone.net
Tue Apr 17 02:26:25 UTC 2007

Hello FreeBSD List,

Ok I made a huge mistake (insert laugh here because I know you will).
I was working late at home and had more then a few drinks... A lot
more. I was working with a PAP2-NA (Analog to VoIP adapter (ATA)) and
I changed the password. The password that was programed into the unit
from my service provider was a randomly generated password and I was
messing with a lot of the settings and needed to keep logging in. So
I changed it to make my life easier.

So any way I changed the password and now it appears I didn't change
the password to what I had thought I had. The password was a short 4
digit number. Like I said I just wanted to make my life easier while
I was messing around with it. Now I am locked out of the unit and
TOTALY SOL. My phones don't work at the house because the think has
been set incorrectly.

I don't know how to crack passwords or even where to start. Is there
some kind of script or application I can run on my FreeBSD system to
try every combination of numbers from 0 - 9999.

It is possible I may have fat fingered the number so it could be 6 or
7 digits instead of the 4 I intended. I don't know. I tried every
variation I can think of and even got drunk again hoping to recreate
the stupid mistake.

I have totally messed that one up. I would have had to type it twice
which just goes to show you should not work on your junk while drunk.

Can anyone help me out? The unit has no reset buttons to reset it to
defaults there is nothing online that I can find to bypass the unit.
I did a port scan and it appears to only be listening on port 80. Any
thoughts out there? Please.

Thanks and I hope I made someone laugh with my mistake because I know
all my friends are.

Thanks.