I like Ubuntu

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Sat Apr 14 20:31:02 UTC 2007

On Sat, Apr 14, 2007 at 04:15:43PM -0400, Parv wrote:
> in message <1176551927.6799.9.camel at FreeBSD.localhost>,
> wrote Paul Butler thusly...
> >
> > If, however, heart-stopping speed appeals to you, you want
> > intelligently planned technology with the latest stable
> > applications, you are operating web servers, or you just plain
> > want to get expertise in real Unix then there is nothing like
> > FreeBSD.
> >
> > Merely by living with FreeBSD for a year or two on your desktop or
> > laptop, you will really deepen your understanding of unix-derived
> > systems in a way which is not possible with Linux.  This may be
> > very helpful if you either have or contemplate a career in IT.
>
> I note that Paul mentioned "IT" not a "Unix System Administration".
> So consider the following as my rant.
>
> There seems to be no entity which offers *entry level* Unix System
> Administration position to those not already living in immediate
> surrounding area (even if one is willing to relocate (at one's own
> expense)).  And "Junior" positions require near 3 years of Unix or
> Linux *paid* experience.
>
> In my experience, the Unix knowledge & experience gained by using
> FreeBSD (despite the number of years using it) on a machine
> connected to Internet  -- but not actively taking part in LAN-y
> things like internal DNS, file- and backup/restore server,
> heterogeneous computing environment, etc. -- can help only for
> non-system administration positions.

If by "help" you mean "help you get hired", I agree -- unfortunately.

Speaking in terms of skills, on the other hand, I have to disagree.  For
instance, my first year of using Debian as my primary desktop OS made me
a far better MS Windows admin than I ever had been before, despite my
certifications, education, and experience with MS Windows networks prior
to that point.  I suppose that learning more OSes can make one a far
better admin in the OSes one already knew, in a manner similar to the
way learning Haskell, Lisp, or Smalltalk can make one a better C, Java,
or Perl programmer.

Ben Franklin: "As we enjoy great Advantages from the Inventions of
others we should be glad of an Opportunity to serve others by any
Invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.