Automatic means for spinning down disks available?

Jules Gilbert jules.stocks at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 01:06:27 UTC 2007

Boy, do I want answers too!

We have HD's that run 24X7.  And I don't want to turn them off, I
just want them to sleep quietly until needed.  We have lot's of RAM,
thus plenty of cache space.

Our machines are all blades.  (Does this matter?  I don't know.)
IBMs and Super-Micros.

We spend zillions of bucks on electricity;  We use these machines
24X7 now, but soon will only need them about 12 hours a day.  Is 24X7
operation the optimal strategy?

What's the best course here, wrt electric costs, and wrt disk failures?

--jg