awk question

Derek Ragona derek at computinginnovations.com
Tue Apr 10 23:36:42 UTC 2007

At 06:17 PM 4/10/2007, Gary Kline wrote:
>On Mon, Apr 09, 2007 at 06:54:07PM -0700, Rick Olson wrote:
> > I'm assuming you've already taken care of this, but to answer your
> > original question in AWK form, you could have done the following:
> >
> > ls -l | awk '$8 == 2006 {system("rm " $9)}'
> >

>         i'Ll save your snippet to my growing %%% awk file in my ~/HowTo,
>         thankee much.  I'm in the first stages on a months-long trial on
>         system tuning.  This, before I'd risk publishing anything.  So
>         far tho, by upping and lower the NICE prio of various binaries, I
>         have been able to get more than 70% efficient use out of my older
>         servers.  ---This *ought* to carry over to my faster machines....
>
>         Is tthere a way of using ps -alx | ask to look at nice and if it
>         is non-zero (the default), to reset it to zero?

You can easily do some of this using top, such as:
top -bS 200 | tail -n +9 | awk '{ print $5 }'

If you want to tweak the nice value you'd need to examine the value and
then renice it as long as you are root.  You'd need the PID for that, so
here's another example:
top -bS 200 | tail -n +9 | awk '{ printf("Pid: %d has Nice: %d\n", $1,$5) }'

         -Derek

believed to be clean.