awk question

Gary Kline kline at tao.thought.org
Tue Apr 10 23:15:48 UTC 2007

On Mon, Apr 09, 2007 at 06:54:07PM -0700, Rick Olson wrote:
> I'm assuming you've already taken care of this, but to answer your
> original question in AWK form, you could have done the following:
>
> ls -l | awk '$8 == 2006 {system("rm " $9)}'

	i'Ll save your snippet to my growing %%% awk file in my ~/HowTo,
	thankee much.  I'm in the first stages on a months-long trial on
	system tuning.  This, before I'd risk publishing anything.  So
	far tho, by upping and lower the NICE prio of various binaries, I
	have been able to get more than 70% efficient use out of my older
	servers.  ---This *ought* to carry over to my faster machines....

	Is tthere a way of using ps -alx | ask to look at nice and if it
	is non-zero (the default), to reset it to zero?

	Say that I've reniced xorg and mozilla to -9 for starters and
	reniced epiphany to -11.  Others may have a much lower NICE of
	19.  I don't know ask that well; is this on better left to
	something like C?  :-)  [[[ Something I can do?? :-) ]]]

	thanks in advance,

	gary

--
  Gary Kline  kline at thought.org   www.thought.org  Public Service Unix