megacli and PERC5 (PowerEdge 1950) on 6.2

Jonathan Delgado delgado at molbio.mgh.harvard.edu
Mon Apr 9 19:38:58 UTC 2007

Hi,

    I have some Dell PowerEdge 1950 servers equipped with their PERC5/
i SAS RAID controller (OEM is LSI). In general they work fine. The
mfi driver is being used and I get some occassional blurbs logged by
the driver. I am having poor results though trying to get the megacli
port (sysutils/linux-megacli) to work with it.

    For example, if I call 'megacli -AdpAllInfo -aALL' I get junk/
empty output like:
Adapter #0

======
                 Versions
                 ================
Product Name    :
Serial No       :
FW Package Build:
FW Version      :
BIOS Version    :
Ctrl-R Version  :

                 Pending Images In Flash
                 ================
None

                 PCI Info
                 ================
Vendor Id       : 0000
Device Id       : 0000
SubVendorId     : 0000
SubDeviceId     : 0000

Host Interface  : UNKOWN

Number of Frontend Port: 0
Device Interface  : UNKOWN

    I am getting this result with multiple systems, one running 6.2-
RELEASE p3, the other a recent (as of today) build of 6.2-STABLE. I
am using linux_base-fc-4_9 for the Linux compat install, and the
specific package of megacli is linux-megacli-1.01.09_1. linprocfs and
linsysfs are both mounted. mfi_linux.ko is loaded. The device seems
to be recognized within the linux subsystem, as I have:

# cat /compat/linux/sys/class/scsi_host/host0/proc_name
megaraid_sas

    From what I have been able to dig up from past posts to the
mailing lists: others have been able to get this working fine, but
I'm not sure if any have been specifically with 6.2 and the PERC5/i
controller. If anyone has any clues or tips for how to proceed with
this, it would be much appreciated.

    Thanks.

-Jonathan

--