minimum requirements

Girish Venkatachalam girishvenkatachalam at gmail.com
Fri Sep 29 09:05:26 PDT 2006

On Fri, Sep 29, 2006 at 11:48:26AM -0400, Jerry McAllister wrote:
> I don't know what the current absolute minimum to run values
> would be.   So recommended minimums would be somewhat subjective
> and depend on the intended use of the machine and the number
> of ports and user accounts you might put on it.
>
> For a personal work station with only a few ports, but not a
> stripped DNS server or something, I would recommend at least 512 MB
> memory and 18 GB disk and 1.5 GHz CPU with at least 400 MHz frontside
> bus.   More and faster is nice.
> A stripped router or DNS server might get by with 1/4 the memory
> and 1 GB disk and a much slower CPU.
>
> A loaded desktop that included web server and web based utilities
> such as database services, Email and list services, etc might do better
> to start with 1 GB memory and 72 GB disk and 2 Ghz CPU and storage
> would go up from there depending on the size of things you are
> serving.
>
> ////jerry

I am happily running FreeBSD 6.0 on 233 Mhz 128 MB RAM machine. It has given very good performance with very little cause for complaint.

It is my workstation/desktop. I am not aware of any theoretical limit on hardware config for FreeBSD.

Please remember to config a big enuf swap partition if ur RAM is low.

regards,
Girish