Problems during installing FreeBSD

Henrik Hudson lists at rhavenn.net
Sat Sep 23 07:26:54 PDT 2006

On Friday 22 September 2006 23:03, "Sunil Kumar" <sunilts at gmail.com> sent a
missive stating:
> Hi:
>
> I downloaded three *.iso images from the  www.freebsd.org website and
> burnt in on 3 CDs and used the first CD which just contains the
> "/boot" directory for starting the installation. My question is:
> 1) Why doesn't it ask me to load the next CD in to the CDRom Drive
> during the installation, which I presume contains all the required
> packages and binaries?

If you have a decent internet connection, just use the bootonly ISO and then
grab the packages / files via an FTP or FTP Passive connection during
install. Otherwise, just use the 2nd disc. The handbook has some good info:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/install-pre.html
and
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/install-diff-media.html

should answer your questions.

> 2) Will I be able to still boot Linux if I allow FreeBSD to overwrite
> the MBR with its own boot loader, which it asks during installation?

If you want a nicer looking boot loader then don't install anything into the
MBR and configure LILO or GRUB to boot FreeBSD. There are docs in the
handbook about this. Just do a search for LILO on the FreeBSD site.

> Can somebody please help me with this issue?

Check the handbook. It's very good.

Henrik
--
Henrik Hudson