mail to root

pauls at utdallas.edu pauls at utdallas.edu
Tue Sep 19 22:24:51 PDT 2006

--On September 19, 2006 9:50:18 PM -0700 jekillen <jekillen at prodigy.net>
wrote:

> Hello again;
> I have a question about how mail from the system is generated for root.
> This question was prompted when I edited the Postfix aliases file and
> ran newaliases, then did postfix reload, assuming the mail system was
> running. I was informed that Postfix was not running.

Informed how?  What do you see in /var/log/maillog?

What does:
egrep {'error|warn|fatal|alert'} /var/log/maillog

return?

 So the question,
> how does mail generated by the system get delivered to the root account?
> Here is my motive:
> I have a server that I want to run headless. I want to be able to
> retrieve
> mail to root from another machine via ssh login (on the same private net
> work number/netmask 255.255.255.0). I cannot login to the system as
> root over ssh. I don't know if I can read root mail with su (as wheel
> group
> member). I tried this but maybe I'm not using the appropriate parameter.

ssh in to the box using your account.  Then type:
su -
Enter the root password
type:
mail
then select the number of the message you want to read.

man (1) mail

Paul Schmehl (pauls at utdallas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas