mail to root

jekillen jekillen at prodigy.net
Tue Sep 19 21:46:02 PDT 2006

Hello again;
I have a question about how mail from the system is generated for root.
This question was prompted when I edited the Postfix aliases file and
ran newaliases, then did postfix reload, assuming the mail system was
running. I was informed that Postfix was not running. So the question,
how does mail generated by the system get delivered to the root account?
Here is my motive:
I have a server that I want to run headless. I want to be able to
retrieve
mail to root from another machine via ssh login (on the same private net
work number/netmask 255.255.255.0). I cannot login to the system as
root over ssh. I don't know if I can read root mail with su (as wheel
group
member). I tried this but maybe I'm not using the appropriate parameter.
Or maybe there isn't any. I don't know where to look for an answer to
this
question, other than this knowledgeable group.....Oh, man mail maybe?
Thanks in advance
Jeff K