cvs question

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Fri Sep 15 09:08:15 PDT 2006

On 2006-09-15 17:58, Michael Grant <mg-fbsd3 at grant.org> wrote:
> [#786] ls -l CVS
> total 6
> -rw-r--r--  1 mgrant  1001  197 Oct 16  2005 Entries
> -rw-r--r--  1 mgrant  1001    8 May 30  2005 Repository
> -rw-r--r--  1 mgrant  1001   55 May 30  2005 Root
> [#787] cat CVS/Root
> :pserver:xgrant:xxxxxx at grant.org/home/ng/tools/cvsroot
>
> Ok, so that solve that mystery.  However, I still cannot log in on one
> machine yet I can on the other:  Except for the Entries file, Root and
> Repository are identical in the CVS directory.
>
> cvs login
> Logging in to :pserver:xgrant at grant.org:2401/home/ng/tools/cvsroot
> cvs login: authorization failed: server grant.org rejected access to
> /home/ng/tools/cvsroot for user mgrant

The CVS server seems to be using some sort of CVS access control, i.e.
by a CVSROOT/readers or CVSROOT/writers file or something similar.

I am not sure of all the gory details about your particular setup, but
the message seems to imply that `mgrant' is blocked by the access
controls of the server itself.

Do you have a CVSROOT/readers or CVSROOT/writers in
/home/ng/tools/cvsroot/CVSROOT/ on the CVS server?

If yes, what do they contain?  Please take care of masking any sensitive
data (like user passwords), if you sent their contents!!!