Slow install of Ruby 18 from ports

Karol Kwiatkowski freebsd at orchid.homeunix.org
Thu Sep 14 03:51:26 PDT 2006

On 14/09/2006 04:05, Olivier Nicole wrote:
>> I don't know why. I'm running DNS server on old Celeron 400Mhz with
>> 96MB RAM just fine. Why do you think you need Xeon dual core for that?
>
> Of course I don't, and won't.
>
> I was just replying to the guy that told me that I am using archaic
> hardware and that it makes building ruby slow.
>
> I do use a number of PIII servers (more than Xeon) and am very happy
> with them.

OK, I'm guilty of not reading the whole thread, I apologise.
(note to self: don't reply while half asleep)

Just out of curiosity I tried ruby port on two machines - fast one
(1.6GHz Athlon with 1GB RAM) and small one (400MHz with 96MB RAM).
Fast one has no problems with ruby, it builds and installs in few
minutes. The slow one is another story, however.

build time, no problem here:
460.448u 63.175s 9:52.80 88.3%  3844+2249k 911+151io 308pf+0w

install time:
565.634u 72.527s 1:46:30.87 9.9%        11+-4438k 1711+40io 464794pf+4w

At least that how it looked when I pressed ^C

The machine was slow, swapping a lot (about 150MB of swap used), with
CPU idling most of the time. I guess Ruby being scripted language
doesn't help performance, either.

Installing from a package takes about 3 minutes, however. I've never
noticed problems with ruby because I build all needed packages on a
fast machine (having a lot of memory helps), then install them on the
small ones.

To sum up, try using a package instead[1].

HTH,

Karol

[1] There's another option - make the port not to generate
documentation but that would mean hacking it, I don't see any knobs to
do that.

--
Karol Kwiatkowski  <freebsd at orchid dot homeunix dot org>